[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 18 00:58:59 CEST 2013

Donald Stufft <donald <at> stufft.io> writes:

> I think bundling pip or bundling nothing is the only thing that makes
sense. There
> actually *is* a PEP however it took a different approach that has been
(during the
> discussions about it) decided that a different way would be less error
prone and
> more suitable. So now someone to write a PEP for that *new* way is being
sought
> out. So it's not so much that a pronouncement was made prior to a PEP
being
> written, but that a PEP was written, discussed, and a better way was found
during
> that discussion.

Which specific PEP are you referring to? I'm not aware of any PEP which
refers to bundling anything with Python. If whichever PEP it was took a
fairly different approach to the one being discussed, and no conclusion
could be reached about it, that doesn't mean that PEP 1 shouldn't be
followed - just that a new PEP needs to be written, espousing the new
approach, and it needs to go through the PEP workflow. For example, PEP 386
was supplanted by PEP 440, because the earlier PEP had some flaws which the
later PEP took care to address. The earlier metadata PEPs all built on one
another, with PEP 426 being the latest.

> As far as I know you're free to make a competing PEP if you'd like.

What would be the point, given that the decision has already been made by
the packaging BDFL? If someone else had put forward the pip bundling PEP, I
would certainly have commented on it like anyone else and participated in
the discussions. I'm more concerned that the PEP process is not being
followed than I'm concerned about "my particular approach vs. your
particular approach vs. his/her particular approach".

Regards,

Vinay Sajip