[Distutils] The pypa account on BitBucket

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 18:39:51 CET 2013

Nick:

I'm not sure who owns it yet.
If it is one of us, then it would need to be a group vote to use the pypa
"brand name" like this.
I'll try to get all the pypa people to come here and register their opinion.

here's my personal thoughts:

I understand the motivation to reuse our name, but probably less political
to start a new nifty short name.
"pypack" or something. "pack" as in a group of people, but also short for
"packaging"

In the spirit of the blog post,  here's the 2 doc projects I'd like to see
exist under this new ~"pypack" group account, and be linked to from the
main python docs.

1)  "Python Packaging User Guide":  to replace the unmaintained
Hitchhiker's guide,  or just get permission to copy that in here and get it
up to date and more complete.
2)  "Python Packaging Dev Hub": a simpler name to replace
"python-meta-packaging"

give the ~10-15 people that are actively involved in the various packaging
projects and PEPs admin/merge access to help maintain these docs.

and then announce this on python-announce as real and supported indirectly
by the PSF.

people will flock IMO to follow it and contribute with pulls and issues

Marcus