[Distutils] Draft PEP for JSON based metadata published

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon May 27 13:36:37 CEST 2013

After preliminary reviews by Donald and Daniel, I have now pushed the
first complete draft of the JSON-based metadata 2.0 proposal to
python.org

PEP 426 (metadata 2.0): http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0426/
PEP 440 (versioning): http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/

With the rationale and commentary, they're over 3000 lines between
them, so I'm not attaching them here.

The rationale for many of the changes is at the end of each PEP, along
with some comments on features that I have either rejected or
deliberately chosen to defer to the next revision of the metadata (at
the earliest).

Those with BitBucket accounts may also comment inline on the drafts here:

PEP 426: https://bitbucket.org/ncoghlan/misc/src/05d3586464b10d6a04a35409468269d7c89a87ba/pep_drafts/pep-0426.txt?at=default
PEP 440: https://bitbucket.org/ncoghlan/misc/src/05d3586464b10d6a04a35409468269d7c89a87ba/pep_drafts/pep-0440.txt?at=default

Cheers,
Nick.