[Doc-SIG] A promise

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:02:48 -0500 (EST)

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) writes:
 > Hmm. A serious point. What do we want to *call* this thing?

  That depends on what "this thing" is.  ;)  I imagine there are at
least two components (long term):  a tool that people run over their
.py files, and a package in the standard library that allows access to
useful chunks of documentation "online", with an interface from the
interactive interpreter, IDLE, or other IDEs.
  I think the *first* thing to do is to create the tool; the library
can be evolved & refactored from that codebase and additional
requirements over time; I don't see this as terribly pressing.  The
package in the standard library should probably be called "docutils",
after Greg Ward's "distutils", but I've not a clue as to what to call
the command-line tool (well, not any good clues).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations