[Edu-sig] Re: Python Programming: An Introduction to ComputerScience

John Zelle john.zelle at wartburg.edu
Sat Dec 13 15:59:56 EST 2003

Hello all,

I've been reading the thread about my book with great interest. All
feedback is helpful, even when I don't necessarily agree. Let me just
say that I thought Kirby's initial posting was right on target. My book
is intended as a CS1 book, not a book on Python. Because of that, I have
been a little fearful about how the book might be received in the Python
community. Kirby clearly understands the distinction being drawn, and I
appreciate the way his remarks are framed.

I am much less concerned than others about how the more advanced and/or
indiosyncratic features of Python are/might be taught. The truth is that
the tradtional core computer science sequence CS1 (Intro to
programming), C2 (Data Structures and Design), CS3 (Advanced Data
structures and Algorithms) have not been "about" language for a long
time. Even a student that goes through this sequence using a single
language, whether that be C++, Java, or Python will not acquire expert
knowledge of the language. That's simply not what these courses are
about. The point is that once a student has completed CS1/CS2, they can
pick up a good technical book and have the foundation to learn the
complete feature set of any language.

Students continue programming throughout their CS programs and in future
careers. They are constantly changing tools. With some serious early
exposure to a variety of tools (say dynamic and static languages) they
are in a better position to pick tools that are best suited for the job
at hand. A move to Java or C++ in CS2 should not be seen as "abandoning"
Python. In fact, seeing Python side-by-side with Java ususally leads my
students to want to do more Python projects (and hence learn more about
Python) in their upper-level classes. Without seeing a statically typed
language, it's hard to appreciate the elegance and flexibility of
Python. For example, when we talk about polymorphism in CS1, the
students say "of course, what's the big deal." Only when they see the
complexity of doing similar things in C++ or Java do they really
appreciate the concept.

Whatever approach one takes to the first classes, it is important to
realize that our students do not begin programming with the same
background that we have. Most of my students are not particularly
mathematically or scientifically oriented (at least at the start). And
they are concrete, not abstract thinkers. It's important that we try to
meet them where they are so that they can learn and grow with minimal
frustration. Packing more into CS1 is probably not the way to do that.

Along similar lines, Kirby's comment on abstracting geometric objects
from their realizations (see below) are absolutely right on track as a
matter of  design principle. I do address this sort of decoupling toward
the end of the book (model-view architectures). However, the goal of the
graphics package is somewhat different. The purpose is to introduce
objects in a very concrete way. It is a graphics library, not a geometry
library. A Point doesn't really represent an abstract geometric point,
but a postion _in_a_window_. Similarly, the Rectangle is not a general
mathemetical abstraction, but an actual box on the screen (maybe I
should have called it "box"). Now an object on the screen has inherent
properties such as color and outline width as instrinsic properties;
whereas the mathematical abstraction does not. This is most evident in
the Line class. A Line on the screen is not really a line in the
mathematical sense---at best it would be a line segment. If you were
designing an application around the mathematical concepts you could use
the primitives of the graphics library to visually realize some of those
(so the graphics package would be analogous to the backend, not the front).

Of course, I do use the graphics package to get my students to do things
like calculating points of intersection and computing coordinate
transformations. The beauty of it is that they think they are just
drawing pretty pictures :-).

My thanks to all of you who have given me both encouragement and
criticism on this project.

--John