[Edu-sig] Hypertoon better if your machine has oomph

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Thu Mar 17 19:09:47 CET 2005

> Hypertoon about the concentric hierarchy (required viewing, K-12):
> http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/python/hypertoons/ (new improved version:
> John Zelle made it sense if you're using 2.3 instead of 2.4, and implement
> the necessary workarounds, plus defaults to not-fullscreen so is now
> friendlier in Linux).

I just ran this for the first time on my 1.2 Ghz AMD laptop (Compaq Presario
700), versus the 2.8 Ghz P4 with hyperthreading I'd been using 'til now.
Rather disappointing.

With the dual play heads, some of the transformations aren't even visible --
just a jump from start to finish with none of the in-betweening.  Probably
the frame rate is too high.  I haven't tried single playhead mode yet.

Anyway, one gets spoiled by these better machines (having a gig of DDR might
help too).

I just scheduled myself to talk for 30 mins re this Hypertoon app at Pycon.
Probably the Presario is what I'll use.  It dual boots to Linux -- maybe
it'll run faster there (faint/fading hope)?