[Edu-sig] RE: Concentric hierarchy / hypertoon (was pygame etc.)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Mar 27 15:49:12 CEST 2005

 -----Original Message-----
> From: Arthur [mailto:ajsiegel at optonline.net]

I am reading - among others (I am a committed multitasker) - a book called
"In the Wake of Chaos" by Stephen Kellert, which is a treatise on the
philosophical implications of Chaos Theory.  For Kirby ... Wittgenstein's
name comes up in the second paragraph of the Prologue.

And as a philosophical work it delves into such things as the "character of
understanding".

I was struck by reading this morning that the description of "epistemic
understanding"  - one of 3 broad categories of scientific understanding
defined - is defined in almost precisely the same words I found to describe
what I think we get (and can transmit) from Euclidian reasoning.

"The epistemic conception holds that science advances understanding by
making events less surprising, by making phenomena expectable"

My position here has been that the importance of transmitting to students
an understanding of scientific understanding needs to be a among the most
fundamental goals of education.

And my question has been to what extent can we tailor the process of
teaching programming to contribute to this goal - and thereby, in my mind
make it *important*. And to what extent should we let ourselves be satisfied
with transmitting the practice of a practice, and convince ourselves it is
important.