[Edu-sig] RE: Integration correction

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Mar 29 23:52:44 CEST 2005

From: Kirby Urner <urnerk at qwest.net>
> @simpson
> def g(x):  return x*x
>
> >>> g(0, 3)
> 9.0000000000000036

My resistance to decorators is not unrelated to the fact that I don't seem capable of getting my mind around them.

I do find it quite disconcerting that the arguments "g" is expecting
cannot be ascertained in the normal manner - that is by looking
at "g" for the arguments it is expecting.  Ouch, ouch, ouch.

I think decorators are a little *too* cool - though do accept they have there
real world uses.

I am not sure why these are them.

And certainly my issue is unrelated to the particular
choice of syntax Guido made - which I happen to like, but probably for
the wrong reasons.

I *particularly* dislike decorators in the context of teaching/learning.

Something that is relatively straight forward as executable pseudo-code
becomes fancy/schmancy programming.

I would probably introduce them first a step or two before metaclasses -
in the Python for gurus class.