[Edu-sig] The best way to predict the future...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 01:44:04 CEST 2006

On 7/11/06, Michael <ms at cerenity.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 July 2006 19:20, kirby urner wrote:
> > But the reality is: teachers are afraid of Python, of hackers, of
> > geekdom, of technology.
>
> No, that's fantasy. They don't even know it exists - that's the more
> fundamental reality, and furthermore, they don't care - in the UK computer
> studies was replaced at GCSE level (ie up to 16 years) with Information
> Technology 15 years ago, eliminating any programming aspect in that age
> group.

I was referring to an actual exchange with an actual student who was
getting resistence installing or booting Python, right here on this
list.  The question is, will I be able to come up with the URL.
Unless the student was a plant, this was no fantasy.  And where
there's one example, I expect we'll find more.

> And the teachers? They're not afraid - they don't even know it exists. If you
> think otherwise, then I'm sorry, you're in fantasy land. (To be honest, I
> wish they were afraid, fear is a lot simpler to solve, however complete lack
> of awareness or care? That's *a lot* harder.)

OK, let's make them afraid then.  A step up from where you're at in
whatever neck of the woods.

And actually, we teach Python in middle school here in Portland, at
least at my daughter's school (a public one).  They've been doing
Scheme at Franklin, Java other places.  Lots of Flash.  Some Logo.

> Anyway, my intent isn't to offend, but merely to correct what I see as a major
> misconception (that people are afraid) being portrayed as reality (they don't
> even know python exists).

Given a planet of over seven billion people, I'm sure more than one
picture might be true at the same time (sorry to break the bad news to
ya).

> Personally I'd love to be able to do something about this (people even knowing
> python exists and is usable by even children)...
>

> Michael.

OK, I think we can do that.  Stay tuned (it's fine if they're afraid
at first though, right?).

Disney was good at scaring children in Pinnochio (sp?).  I'm thinking
of something along those lines, but more geared towards adults.