[Edu-sig] Alan Kay - another one of his ideas

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 08:31:21 CEST 2006

On 7/11/06, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

> And of course, the site was also inaccessible when I first learned about
> it (from Kirby's post to this list I think) from too much demand most
> likely, so it also failed the cost test. Presumably, they just could not
> afford to put enough resources into the project for "everyone".

Not sure if from me, though Alan was showing everyone this Javascript
Logo at the summit.  I think what's happening is "implementing Logo"
has become a sort of basic test of a language's go-no-go status as
attention-worthy among educators.

Alan was proving JavaScript is worthy, just as an exercise.  Plus
advancing the cause of the browser as a platform-neutral platform.

But you're right, it's not platform neutral enough to run on my
Edubuntu box in the basement.

Your reports of difficulties sent me down there.

Nor is upgrading the the next FireFox all that mindlessly easy (I
struggled and lost).

The Synaptic Package Manager (sp?) offered to uninstall FireFox, or
reinstall, but not upgrade.

Probably I need to apt-get somehow.  The FireFox Help menu was no help on this.