[Edu-sig] Alan Kay - another one of his ideas

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jul 12 19:38:38 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I have no argument with the rest of your message but I want to stop
> the rhetoric claiming that the WWW is somehow bad for us.

Heck, no. I didn't mean to say that the web is "bad" for you (as in "TV
is bad for you"). Limited, yes, and that is the point. Even on my very
first home computer in the early 80s (Comodore C16) I had a drawing
program. On the "web-platform" it effectively took ten years and two
dozen standards until we've been able to recreate something as
dog-simple as that. And the nature of the discourse simply changes
dramatically when you have capable authoring tools at your hand to
express your thoughts - one of the best examples being the Blogosphere
which has managed to utilize the current limited authoring abilities in
an amazing way.

Anyway. I think this discussion is somewhat of a red herring so let's
not get all locked up about whether the web's good or bad or whether it
is too limited or "just right".

To get back to the Logowiki starting point, the main idea of Logowiki is
to give people an example for what it *could* mean to include this kind
of dynamic content in browser. The way I understand it, Crunchy Frog
seems to be aimed very much in the same direction.

Cheers,
   - Andreas