[Edu-sig] The keyhole problem and learning environments

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Jul 16 03:39:48 CEST 2006

On 7/15/06, ajsiegel at optonline.net <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:
> I *do* acknowledge to Mr. Kay exactly what he asks to have acknowledged  -
> he is in a class of his own.
> .
> No - he needn't care that he offends me.
>
> What I am thoroughly confused about - in all honesty - is that I seem to be
> the exception to the rule, rather the rule.

Actually on my first day of meeting with him I had the same feeling.
(Well, I can't know that, of course; I mean that I had a strong
negative gut response to his repeated mention of the '60s and claims
that there was only one true approach to tutoring.)

What changed may well have been that he sensed this in me and changed
his tune to avoid offending me; clearly he wants something from me.
:-)