[Edu-sig] Alan Kay - another one of his ideas

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Jul 16 18:22:34 CEST 2006

>He does more than recycle or rest on his reputation (venturing into
>Python Nation was the act of an adventuresome explorer, especially
>given some of the hackles around here).

As I said, I have no problem with a respectful pose toward Kay
as an "adventuresome explorer".

But in the end I think we need to converge - if we are to converge -
around a respect for science and its methods.

There is no discovery without exploration, but there is much earnest
exploration without discovery.

What I consider to be the "assault on my sensibilities" is Kay claiming an
exception for himself, to the rules of the game.

Are we to play by no rules whatsoever?

Seniority is not science. *That's* politics.

Am I to accept that I have nostalgia problem, an IQ problem,
bad eye sight?

Hard, when what I think that what I have is  a good view of the hand in
front of my face. And that this is what is causing my "problem".