[Edu-sig] Python Pedagogy

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 01:41:13 CEST 2006

On 7/22/06, Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:
> Not pretending to understand much of what Wittgenstein was saying, but I
> think it actually quite relevant in the context of your full post that,
> according to Betrand Russel, Wittgenstein's thinking was profoundly
> influenced by projective geometry and his early philosophy was in some
> sense applying the principles of what he found there to linguistics.

Well, it's something of a balloon popper, but I feel I should indicate
I'm more a PI man than a TLP man, meaning I favor the 2nd philosophy
and trace this importance of perception to PI Part II.  Russell
couldn't follow and concluded maybe LW had lost it by then -- but he
was just getting good, to my way of thinking.

None of which is to rain on your projective geometry metaphor for
mapping a natural to a computer language.  That happens when we get to
Bucky.  :-D

Kirby

Key:
TLP = Tractatus Logico Philosophicus (Russell loved it)
PI = Philosophical Investigations (weird stuff, Russell didn't get it)
LW = Ludwig Wittgenstein (some big name philosopher I studied at Princeton)