[Edu-sig] Python Editor / IDE for HS students

Kevin Driscoll driscollkevin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 21:41:19 CEST 2006

I'm preparing a new diskimage for a WinXP-based computer lab and
deciding the editor or IDE I'll use to teach Python this year.

I always include my preference, Vim, but typically my students have
used either Textpad or IDLE.  Although I like Textpad, I want my lab
to be as free as possible so I'm leaning towards SciTE.

What are your experiences with editors / IDEs and Python?  I've used
Eclipse with Java, how is the PyDev plugin?  Is there a good editor
with method completion and collapsible codeblocks?

Flexibility is valuable, because they'll also be using this editor for
XHTML / CSS but Python is the most demanding unit.

Kevin