[Edu-sig] Game of Life on a Hexapent

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 20:29:07 CEST 2006

I've added a minimalist web page to my CP4E collection:

http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/life.html

I'm still looking for possible errors in logic, as my "no change = 4"
rule was netting me some "ghost edges" (somewhere between alive and
dead).  When I further simplified and refactored, plus tweaked the
rules, the results looked better.

I need to go back and look at that "no change" rule again.

Because alive and dead cells share edges, I expire first, then draw
births.  Any unchanged alive cell should also be redrawn.

If you've programmed the game of life before, you'll already know how
handy it is to have a data structure that just gives you a cell's
neighbors with a simple name lookup.  No fancy tricks with indexing
(blech).

The main job of a cell class in this implementation is to
self-colorize, by first distilling edges from the face-tuple (=
self.address i.e. name), and then turning them the appropriate color
(because edge verts are sorted, they're also unique handles to VPython
cylinder objects).

If you download Adrian's Packinon, you can generate a higher frequency
ball as an OFF file (in geodesic -c 2,3 2 | pol_recip | off_util -O >
output.off, up that 2nd 2 to like 3) and all the same source code
*should* work (but I haven't tested it yet).