[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

Michael ms at cerenity.org
Thu Sep 7 00:55:54 CEST 2006

I've been watching this discussion and wondering - how much of the problems
people complain about would go away if here was a "teaching" distribution of
python. That is one that did the equivalent of

from teaching import *

to put things in the global namespace at start time. Generally this wouldn't
be wanted, but would be useful for putting back the things which people are
worried about losing.

ie something akin to:
~/Local> python -i mymods.py
>>> myinput
<built-in function raw_input>

~/Local> cat mymods.py
#!/usr/bin/python

myinput = raw_input
~/Local>

That way you'd get the same default "experience" for beginners (and I think
this is vitally important myself "raw_input" and "print" are *absolutely*
*without a shadow of a doubt* *must haves* inside the default namespace for a
user (however this is implemented - preferably inside an overrideable library
rather than as language keywords).

Byt that's my tuppence worth. Given we could fake the existance of raw_input
today, how useful would a teaching mode be?

(think bicycle stabilisers for an analogy as to when they come off)

Michael