[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Thu Sep 7 23:51:06 CEST 2006

> So, is this removal a done-deal, or is there some effective way of
> reversing the
> decision?  Does Guido read this list?

It's a done deal (the ToDo list item for it marked [Done]), but it
could still be reversed.  Public outcry caused Guido to reverse on
lambda.  I can't remember offhand if map and reduce were spared or
not.  Guido does read this list, but I don't know how often.  If you
want his attention, the better way would be to post to the
python-3000 list with a message that the edu-sig list has achieved
rough consensus that input/rawinput should be kept, although possibly
renamed, with a pointer to this thread.

No guarantees that will work (and there may be a hue and cry over my
use of "consensus"), but it is the most likely way to get input()'s
head retroactively off the chopping block.

--Dethe

"I can't recommend global variables, literals, or reliance on side
effects
to anyone, but they've always worked for me." --Denis Richie