[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Sep 8 18:29:47 CEST 2006

kirby urner wrote:
> As a teacher, I'd be deeply ashamed to have my name on a Python
> Petition of any kind, unless Guido had already signed off on that as a
> viable community process.  To my knowledge, he hasn't.  Maybe I'm out
> of date.

I don't understand your strong reaction.  OK -- saying "if Python 3k
takes away input() then I'm going to use Ruby" is pretty lame and will
keep an opinion from being taken seriously.  But all Doug was talking
about was registering the opinion of people on edu-sig, who are not on
the py-dev, and who care about these functions where most everyone else
is merely indifferent.  There's no formal process one way or the other;
all you can do is register your opinion, there's no vote, it's not a
democracy, but that doesn't mean that participation doesn't matter.