[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Sep 13 15:45:07 CEST 2006

Joshua Zucker wrote:

Different people are saying differently nuanced things, true enough.

But I was pointing to a particularly post, which seemed to have a way,
way down the road approach.  You can check me out on this by looking at
the Python3000 list of yesterday.

But in these kinds of discussions one suspects  someone may be stating
things a little more strongly than they would otherwise, outside of the
polemic impact they are looking to achieve.

>But maybe some of those possibilities are really obsolete, and
>raw_input() is equally obsolete.  Why not learn about functions, or
>about import, on day 1 anyway?  Either way, raw_input() becomes
>unnecessary.

That seems to be Kirby's position, that obsoleting raw_input() obsoletes
some teaching approaches that are obsolete. I am not willing to say
that, never having experienced the approach - and having enough on my
plate of things about which I feel stronger, with which to piss people
off. ;)

Andre is concerned about its effects on CP4E.

Maybe, OTOH, it is an appropriate step toward CP4E 3000  - a movement
with which I might find myself more aligned ;)

The truth is I was not meaning to re-open the discussion of raw_input.
It has moved to python-dev where it belongs - especially for those who
hope for some reversal of the "done deal" status.  Having never used it
while it was there, but with having it there never getting in the way of
anything I wanted to do, I intend to stay out of the discussion.

The read/write and import issues that happen to derive from the
discussion of raw_input are to me the more generally intersting topics
at this point.