[Edu-sig] BASIC?

Kevin Driscoll driscollkevin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 17:24:03 CEST 2006

Read the article a couple times last night.  It poses two difficult
questions: one concerning the role of programming in education (re:
math texts) and the other is the gradual transformation of the PC from
toolset to appliance.

For the first case, I think it unreasonable to try to recreate the
experience of programming BASIC on a C64 (like Brin) or an Apple //
(like me.)  But what can we learn from it?  Can we abstract the
curiosity, and challenge/reward systems of that earlier experience to
help us create contemporary situations of similar value?

The loss of an easily accessible programming environment on every PC
is truly sad.  However, I found Brin's swipe at the Media Lab unfair.
The oft-derided OLPC project proposes a platform designed for
exploration and experimentation; a far cry from the Dell PCs in my
classroom - seemingly designed for little more than
"content-delivery."

The most intriguing of Brin's questions must be that of the ubiquitous
programming language.  Is Python the rightful heir?

Kevin