[Edu-sig] creating an interface vs. using one

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Sep 23 22:18:40 CEST 2006

Daniel Ajoy wrote:

>In math, operators and numbers are two different things and the
>former don't "belong" to later.

To make Kirby's point, I guess it depends on how one defines "in math".
"Math is" cannot reasonably be defined to exclude how math is, in many
cases, practiced. And math *is* practiced within the OO paradigm.
Extensively, expansively, etc. Having gotten to where it has in the
struggle for the survival of ideas, one needs to presume it has some
inherent strength - of the kind that needs to be respected.

But where Kirby seems to see a movement from one paradigm to another as
progress, I seem to prefer to see an inclusive expansion of the existing
paradigm as such.