[Edu-sig] Calculus with Stickworks (more Gnu Math)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Sep 30 23:46:21 CEST 2006

kirby urner wrote:

>> You are taking something open and public, and  narrowing it, and
>> appropriating it.
>
> Absolutely.  My right and freedom.  No apologies.  Go for it.

You are free to do it, but not by right. Is it your right to do anything
that no one can stop you from doing? Maybe in a schoolyard sense, yes.
But not in a grown-up sense.  At least in the world according to me.

> In other words:  elegant isn't always my style.

Believe it or not, I think we are more on the same side, than not.  But
I am forced to remain adversarial, mostly on the issue of style.  Style
is malleable, so it becomes a choice, a strategy.  Your style - i.e.
your strategy -  is the basis upon which I am forced to question your
seriousness.

My style is certainly also open to question.  I like to think that my
willingness to be abrasive is, at least, a sign of my seriousness.  And
I am serious. Enough to not feel I need to apologize to anyone for
engaging you, which others might see as taking something that is none of
my business, and making it my business. I am exercising my citizenship,
and am only surpised that others don't feel inclined to do the same.