[Edu-sig] An OLPC comment ("Why Educational Technology Has Failed Schools")

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Jan 18 01:33:13 CET 2007

Art-

It is funny to see the "learning just in case" educators crying out for
more testing "just in case". Like the Albany Free School, or John Holt, or
"The Hole in the Wall" project or various other success stories relating
to "learning on demand" which the OLPC project supports did not exist. No
amount of testing will ever be enough for those who use testing as a way
to hold people back and keep them in a lower class. :-(
From:
   http://www.newciv.org/whole/schoolteacher.txt
"The second lesson I teach is your class position.  I teach that
you must stay in class where you belong.  I don't know who decides that
my kids belong there but that's not my business.  The children are
numbered so that if any get away they can be returned to the right
class.  Over the years the variety of ways children are numbered has
increased dramatically, until it is hard to see the human being plainly
under the burden of numbers he carries.  Numbering children is a big and
very profitable business, though what the strategy is designed to
accomplish is elusive.  I don't even know why parents would allow it to
be done to their kid without a fight.
   In any case, again, that's not my business.  My job is to make
them like it, being locked in together with children who bear numbers
like their own.  Or at the least endure it like good sports.  If I do my
job well, the kids can't even imagine themselves somewhere else because
I've shown how to envy and fear the better classes and how to have
contempt for the dumb classes.  Under this efficient discipline the
class mostly polices itself into good marching order.  That's the real
lesson of any rigged competition like school.  You come to know your
place."

I don't in general disagree with the notion that empiricism and testing as
part of either engineering or science can be useful. But there are still
aspects of "garbage in / garbage out" when doing testing in relation to
the testers' assumptions, methods, and biases. And testing can also be
just a big waste of time if you test for the wrong things -- for example,
what do higher test scores really prove about whether people will be
happier or whether some part of society will be better off (economically
or spiritually)? Consider, how do you test for character or imagination or
virtue? And how do you test for people who won't put up with BS of taking
too many tests or being asked to jump through too many hoops? :-)
Historically, if you measure programmers on, say, lines of code, you may
get a lot of lines of code but poorly running and hard to maintain
programs. Same too for testing kids for grades -- maybe you get high
graders but little else. Consider the goal of Computer Programming For
Everybody -- to make people more comfortable and in control of their
increasingly computerized environment -- it's hard to put a number on
someone's sense the importance of that or when it has been reached.

There is some fancy sounding statistical term for numbers not being
connected with the reality you are interested in but I forget it off-hand. :-)

On the larger issues, see this essay I recently wrote which supports
Negroponte's position indirectly:
   "Why Educational Technology Has Failed Schools"
http://patapata.sourceforge.net/WhyEducationalTechnologyHasFailedSchools.html

That essay could be considered supporting Alan Kay's suggestion that
   "the computer revolution hasn't happened yet".
   http://squeakland.org/school/HTML/essays/face_to_face.html
Essentially I explore whether computer technology which enables "learning
on demand" has made "learning just in case" compulsory education obsolete.

--Paul Fernhout