[Edu-sig] Python in Secondary Schools

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jul 17 16:20:09 CEST 2007

On 7/16/07, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yet I got fan mail as well.
>
> I trust others on this list to give Sven the sound sober advice
> he's looking for.   I specialize in various brands of polemics --
> not to the exclusion of technical content though.

But do polemics have a place on a list dedicated to promoting *Python*
in education? The list name is meant to be edu-sig at python.org, not
mere edu-sig -- it's not about education(al politics) in general.

I am seeing signals that there's been too much politics and not enough
Python or education on this list. While discussion of educational
politics is a worthy cause, I want to present a strawman that excludes
its discussion on this list. I have seem more than one mailing list go
up in flames over education politics -- understandably a touchy issue
so perhaps best discussed elsewhere. I have also seen lists saved by a
strict rule forbidding such destructive topics (enforced by a
moderator reminding posters and readers of this rule when the topic is
accidentally brought up again).