[Edu-sig] Portland Python Group Regalvanized

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed May 9 07:52:20 CEST 2007

Event: http://python.meetup.com/183/

PORPIG (Portland Python Interest Group) has restarted thanks to
ZeOmega's Brad Allen, visiting from Dallas on a wxPython job
involving document handling (Word -> OpenOffice -> PDF -> TIFF).

He's working on the thick client for inhouse users, with others doing
the Zope web server component.

Jason cued me to SQLalchemy and Bar Camp:
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/
http://barcamp.org/BarCampPortland

Note:  Freedom Toasters weren't the topic @ the London Summit,
just they happened in South Africa, tend to be orange and black (pretty!):
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&gbv=2&q=%22freedom+toasters%22

I bet Allen Taylor, in the adult Python for Wanderers I'm doing at
the Linus Pauling house on Thursdays, will be intrigued by
SQL Alchemy, given we writes SQL for Dummies, plus this
other one:

http://www.amazon.com/All-One-Reference-Dummies-Computer/dp/0470119284/ref=sr_1_8/102-9659880-0725716

Finally I learned about this Python Advocacy group, different from
python-marketing.  I think I'll study the archive awhile.  Chances are
the ball is already rolling down the hill, gathering steam, plenty fast,
doesn't really need more pushing from lil' me.