[Edu-sig] IDE for GUI development in Python

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 04:28:16 CEST 2008

Learning GUI programming fundamentals is best accomplished with a
straight text editor IMO (vim, scintilla, whatever).

Dragging and dropping widgets from a tools palette is convenient, but
not the best way to learn GUI programming, as such IDEs tend to
insulate from the details, not teach them -- why VB in general is not
a good learning environment, a common mistake many schools make.

John Zelle's book using Tk is a good one.

I recommend intro classes go through quite a number of widget
libraries, each time doing nothing too difficult, using Gtk, wx, Qt,
even AWT via Jython maybe.  Students get a feel for what's common
(window concept), what's different (e.g. event model).

Most importantly, a lot of GUI development = web pages for visuals
these days, not thick client at all, so if the point of the course
really is GUI development, then JavaScript/CSS, some exposure to web
frameworks, e.g. ASP, is a must.

Kirby