[Edu-sig] CP4E in a third world country

Winston Wolff winstonw at stratolab.com
Tue Oct 7 17:39:19 CEST 2008

Hi Miguel-

We teach computer programming with Python at Stratolab, but I like to
start with Scratch first.  ( scratch.mit.edu )  Scratch builds the
higher level programming concepts without the burden of learning
syntax.  Scratch programmers learn problem solving, if-then logic,
loops, an variables.  With Scratch, students get something working
quickly, which builds their motivation.  Then the ones who really
enjoy it can move on to Python.  Many are content using Scratch, which
I think is fine.  Also Scratch's hardware requirements are relatively
modest.

For the kids who move to Python, graphics are a great way to go--it
provides a lot of positive feedback.  PyGame is rather low level.  I
use my own MoonUnit wrapper around PyGame ( http://stratolab.com/misc/makebot
  ), but LiveWires is similar.

As far as teaching tips, do you live anywhere near NYC?

-Winston