[Edu-sig] more on digital math...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 23:14:45 CEST 2009

Here's a blog post about the meeting below.  Our venue was Sherwood
High School, some 15 miles or so south of the Portland city limits.

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/08/education-planning.html

I don't mention Python much in the post, but that's a language many
assumed we'd be using, although our facilitator might be more of a
Ruby guy (definitely a CTO and programmer).

Speaking of which, Chris shared his sense that the pendulum is
swinging *away from* a kind of snobbishness about programming, where
you'd think "coding" was the more menial role, the high powered being
"system architects" and so on who don't every write in a computer
language.

He thinks that's going away.

I'm thinking that might have something to do with TDD, i.e. this idea
of specifying everything in UML and flow charts, getting buy off from
the customer, and then writing a turn key system based on this spec,
is "old skool" and considered "not working" by today's standards.

Today's workflow is more like what R0ml proposes:  getting working
code out in front and continually reworking, working with the customer
in a free and open process.

We still have milestones though i.e. "feature freeze on the GUI by
September" would be a goal, even if that slips a little.

People agree its uncool to wait until the last possible minute to
request modifications.  I think the movie-making industry probably has
lots of valuable analogies, which we'll tap into, as geeks break into
television more successfully.

Two Python specific feedbacks from that meeting:

A.  Another Title

One of the teachers is using this book, which was assigned to him (he
didn't choose it):

Python Programming in Context by Miller and Ranum:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/3800868585/
http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Context-Bradley-Miller/dp/0763746029/

He noted that "commenting" or "how to comment" is not in the index and
that the code itself contains no examples of commenting.  That may be
to "save paper" but, if so, is just another example of how committing
computer science books to paper is close to oxymoronic.  We should be
using Crunchy, wikis, blogs, PDFs, media you might update.

There's a lot of turtle stuff in the above title, but I'm not sure to
what extent, if any, it works of Gregor's version.

The Litvins pythonic math book, though available in hard copy, is on a
"just in time" printing system e.g. it's about exhausted from Amazon
already, so they'll order up a few more, restock, and so on.  At least
you don't get a huge back log needing to be remaindered, because of
errors or because they're all in Python 2.6.  The 3.x version of the
Litvins text is currently in progress.

B.  Is IDLE Supported?

Another piece of feedback came from this PSU professor who really
likes the language but found IDLE to be almost a show stopper on her
Mac, as it'd crash and then not reboot because of some "socket error".

I mentioned killing zombie snakes in the task manager on Windows but
she assured me this wasn't the problem, plus her students reported the
same thing.  Her impression was IDLE is not supported and that there's
no one to turn to when your IDLE is crashing.  I said I'd look into
this for her.  I've not had this specific problem, though I do need to
kill zombie snakes on occasion.

Most of these high schools run Windows on cannibalized repurposed
machines.  A case with a valid Windows license on the box is what they
look for, to give them license to have a running Windows inside.  I
didn't say anything about switching to Ubuntu in this context as I
think vendors offering school-wide solutions need to do their own
vending around that.

Some of the teachers were actually surprised to learn Python was free.
 They're used to thinking in terms of expensive corporate apps like
Office, which they get at bargain basement prices because they're
schools.  This keeps them feeling grateful whereas there is built-in
distrust, suspicion, and/or ignorance about any software that's
legally free and re-copyable at will, even on the Windows platform.
Python would be a "foot in the door" for FOSS in that sense (might be
IronPython).

As Lindsey puts it, corporate America doesn't like FOSS because the
CEO of company A wants to be able to pick up the phone and shout
expletives and a CEO of company B, about how you'd better fix the
fucking piece of shit right now or we'll see you in court.  That's not
geek culture really, where prima donna rule, work on stuff when they
feel like it, don't think anyone should tell them what to work on
next.  These are of course stereotypes, but with enough truth in 'em
to be worth representing.

Anyway, just some initial comments based on our planning session.  I'm
sure I'll have more to say as we continue collaborating (this was just
the opening salvo).

Kirby