[Edu-sig] more on digital math...

Sun Aug 9 18:59:49 CEST 2009

kirby urner wrote:
> Do we think of Tk as being stable on Windows and/or Linux?  We do yes?
>
> This might be another argument for steering clear of over-priced
> Cadillac OS with too many bells and whistles.  I know "blaming Apple"
> isn't popular, but if learning Python easily is really that important,
> then maybe school districts will think twice about paying that much
> for something that's unsupportive of Tk.

Or it may be caused simply by the fact that our Unix solution has always
been assuming that X11 is the way to get to the screen and mouse.  OSX
has its own display system, and the interface to that system is what is
at issue.  Tcl/Tk is not, in my humble opinion, mature on OSX yet.
wxPython does better, but wxPython suffers a bit from the "this is a
collection of useful stuff" rather than "this is a designed interface"
structure.  I'd guess half the developers are happy with that, and the
other half find it drives them batty (as you can guess I am among the
latter group, although some will insist that I really didn't need much
driving).

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org