[Edu-sig] Call to Action (PyCon)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 22:55:37 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Vern Ceder
<vceder at canterburyschool.org> wrote:

<< trim >>

> So please consider taking this on. And please help plug the poster session -
> it would be great to have a strong education presence as we add posters to
> PyCon.
>
> Thanks,
> Vern

Hi Vern --

I forwarded your edu-sig post verbatim with a bit of an intro,
encouraging our Portland User Group to spread the word regarding this
new opportunity:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/portland/2009-November/000856.html

It may take a few Pycons for this practice to really gain traction.  I
haven't been following the apac.pycon organizer list so don't know if
that Pycon will feature a similar poster session or has plans to
institute same down the road.  My sense is the various Pycons copy
from each other, so whatever works will in Atlanta has good chance of
spreading.

We're ramping up around Python in our multi-media events,
experimenting with a kind of recruiting front end that's
participatory, spoken word and music, using Lightning Talks as a guide
(karaoke also apropos).  The goal is to attract students to a whole
set of free skool type classes where relevant skill sets might be
cultivated.

In other news:  PEP 3003 will freeze the Python language long enough
to help VMs catch up, focus energy on expanding libraries.  Google has
a new open source Go language....

Kirby