[I18n-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] Pre-PEP: Python Character Model

Wed, 7 Feb 2001 01:00:11 +0100

>  a) when you try to convert a character greater than 128. In my opinion
> this is just a poor design decision that can be easily reversed

Technically, you can easily convert expand it to 256; not that easily
beyond.

Then, people who put KOI8-R into their Python source code will
complain why the strings come out incorrectly, even though they set
their language to Russion, and even though it worked that way in
earlier Python versions.

Or, if they then tag their sources as KOI8-R, writing strings to a
"plain" file will fail, as they have characters > 256 in the string.

> I think a lot of Unicode interoperability problems would just go
> away if "a" was fixed...

No, that would be just open a new can of worms.

Again, provide a specific patch, and I can tell you specific problems.

Regards,
Martin