[I18n-sig] Strawman Proposal (2): Encoding attributes

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Fri, 09 Feb 2001 20:01:36 -0800

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:
>=20
>
> Furthermore, there have been experiments with allowing arbitrary
> characters in identifiers, so users could use their language for
> identifiers. Turns out that this is nonsense, since it gives a mix of
> English and local language; ie.
>=20
>=20
> def z=E4hle():
>   global Z=E4hler

I have seen this kind of code on Python-list. Maybe the examples did not
use "funny characters" but they certainly used other languages. I see no
reason to restrict it, or only to English-like languages. You and I may
or may not agree that it is a great idea but do you really feel
comfortable saying: "this is technically possible and maybe someone has
even submitted a patch to allow it but we won't support it because we
think everyone should code in English."

 Paul Prescod