[I18n-sig] Re: Strawman Proposal (2): Encoding attributes

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@effbot.org
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:08:08 +0100

> > > Ah, ok. The encoding information will only be applied to literal
> > > Unicode strings (u"text"), right ?
> >
> > No, that's very different than what I am suggesting.
> >
> > The encoding is applied to the *text file*.
>
> -1

and -1 on your -1.

MAL, you're stuck in a "unicode strings are something special" modus
operandi.  the goal should be to get rid of u"foo" strings, not continue
to make Python more and more dependent on this artificial distinction.

> The result would be way to much breakage.

I doubt it.

Cheers /F