[Idle-dev] IDLE bug seen while using BeautifulSoup.py

David M. Stoner dmstoner at utmb.edu
Wed Jul 18 21:54:48 CEST 2007

I'm not sure if this is the place to submit bug reports.

I'm running IDLE 1.1.1 with Python 2.4.1 on Windows XP.  It generally
works well.  (Using 2.4 because, last I checked, that was the latest I
could use with PyGTK+.)

I'm running a simple application testing  Beautiful Soup
http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/

Source attached.

I get the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\a1\bin\Python24\dms\HTML_Parse\HTML_Parse.py", line 31, in
-toplevel-
    print soup3.body.contents[0]
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

At first I assumed it was a bug in BeautifulSoup,  but it turns out the
script runs fine straight from the command line and under IPython, so it
appears IDLE is at fault.

Apologies if this is an old bug fixed in 2.5.

David Stoner