[Image-SIG] install on win2k

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:06:32 +0100

> Trying to install PIL, I downloaded the windows exe file from the
> downloads section of http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ - I then
> ran the exe file, which said it had installed. Indeed, if I go to the
> C:\py21 directory, I can import Image etc. But not for anywhere else.
> This is something to do with PYTHONPATH I think - how do I do it, or
> where do I copy the libraries to, so that I can test this without having
> to do it in that directory?

the PIL installers patch the PythonWare installation, if present.

if you're using another installation, locate the Python installation
directory (e.g. c:\python21), and move the Image directory and
the DLL/PYD files:

  - move the c:\py21\PIL directory to c:\python21\PIL

  - move the DLLs from c:\py21\DLLs to c:\python21\DLLs

  - create a PIL.pth file containing "PIL" on a single line,
    and put it in c:\python21

</F>