[Image-SIG] Making animated GIFs

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 22:14:02 -0500

Hello everyone,

is there a Python program (preferably using PIL) that can generate animated
GIFs?

Here a little background:
I am developing an online homework system. The person making up the
question can already create graphs using a PIL image. But sometimes these
graphs need to have small animations, such as sketching the flight of a
canon ball.
Online means also, that I have multiple users using the system at the same
time with different variables.

Here my current thoughts:
If there is nothing in Python, I will do the following: Make a loop that
the user can use generating many GIFs stored in temporary files (using
tempfile). Then I use gifmerge (a C program) to merge all the GIFs
together. Luckily, gifmerge returns a bit stream, which I can capture
without generating a new file.

Any ideas? As always, I am grateful to any suggestions or comments!!!

Regards,
Stephan

--
Stephan Richter