[Image-SIG] bug: selftest.py fails

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Jul 15 23:45:29 CEST 2008

Mark Sienkiewicz wrote:

> Imaging-1.1.6 selftest.py fails, even after a successful build.
>
> Observed on
>    Solaris 10, Python 2.5.2, GCC 4.1.1
>    Red Hat Enterprise 4 Linux, Python 2.5.1, GCC 3.4.6

> % python selftest.py
> Traceback (most recent call last)
>  File "selftest.py", line 11, in <module>
>    import ImageMath
>  File "PIL/ImageMath.py", line 19, in <module>
>    import _imagingmath
> ImportError: No module named _imagingmath
>
> Looking in selftest.py, it appears that it expects to find _imagingmath
> by inserting "." and "PIL" on sys.path, but _imagingmath is not in
> either of those places.

$ more README

5. Build the library.  We recommend that you do an in-place build,
    and run the self test before installing.

         $ cd Imaging-1.1.6
         $ python setup.py build_ext -i
         $ python selftest.py

    When the build finishes, a summary report is shown.  Make sure
    that the optional components you need are included.