[Mailman-Developers] wrong list info in header (b1)

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Mon, 8 May 2000 13:48:36 +0200

On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 08:56:01AM -0500, Christopher Kolar wrote:

> It appears that the header info on the monthly reminder reflects that the
> traffic is originating from a single list on the server that the person is
> not subscribed to.  Actually, the list chi-ptech is a small defunct list,
> but even my large mail lists have this information in their monthly
> header.  Here is a sample that I snagged from my queue

[ snip ]

> Is the point that the monthly reminder all originates from a legitimate
> admin address that is picked in some arbitrary way?

Yes, that's exactly the point. The script responsible for sending the
password reminders, cron/mailpasswds, specifically uses the first public
list it finds to send all password reminders. I'm not entirely sure why this
is done, except for some marginal performance issue. This does present a
small bug though: when there is no public list, password reminders are
simply not sent ;-P

mailpasswds should probably be rewritten to either use a list the user is
on, or use a fake list... I'm not really sure which is best, considering
people with mailfilters based on Sender and such.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>