[Mailman-Developers] Huge lists

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@python.org
Tue, 23 May 2000 12:47:12 -0400 (EDT)

Folks,

I'd like to do a lot more testing of huge mailing lists.  I think the
largest I've seen people try (with not much success) is about 250k
recipients.  My goal would be for stock Mailman using a fairly simple
installation on relatively common hardware to easily handle 1M
recipients.

However, I'm at a slight disadvantage right now with my development
environment.  What I think would help would be for some of you to
`donate' large blocks of fake addresses, which I could subscribe to
email lists of varying sizes.  I'd like to create lists of 1k, 10k,
100k, 250k, 500k, and 1M recipients.  Do you think between us we can
gather 1M fake recipients for a test list?

Best would be to have a mix of addresses on a number of sites, and I
think for now, those addrs can just discard messages they receive.  At
some point it might be nice to collate receptions and send back a
summary (e.g. "97k of 100k addresses received the message") -- but
lets not worry about that for now.

What do you think?  How many addresses do you think you could donate?

-Barry