[Mailman-Developers] (no subject)

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 12:28:16 -0400 (EDT)

Re the smart archives interest, one of the guys (newly) here has the
interest and may have the mandate to be doing something significant, of
course using zope rather than php/mysql or midgard.

(Newcomers to the mailman community may see some signs of preference for
python-based implementations of things in the mailman community - read,
python bigotry - and favoring of zope *could* be seen as another symptom
of that.  While favoring zope is really a lot more than just a python
preference, digital creations just recently announced a rather exciting
project, with partnership of SourceGear, for implementation of perl based
methods for zope, so people articulate and extend zope using perl.  Just
incidentally.-)

Smart archives for mailman (or for any mailling list collaboration)  has
been a dear wish of mine since i was working on mailman.  It was
heightened by joining digital creations, but i got distracted learning
zope and going in some other directions, and never got to the zope/mailman
integration.  Though i've gotten pretty far from mailman development, i'm
still extremely eager to see smart archives happen - i think the
collaborative usefulness of mailing lists is severely limited without a
comprehensive, well integrated smart archive.  I know barry and others
have been similarly psyched to see such a thing - i hope ethan's mandate
and interest does head in this direction, we'll see.  If se, there may be
some good opportunities for synergy with the other mailman developers
along the way...

Ken Manheimer
klm@digicool.com