[Mailman-Developers] sort by thread for digest mode in mailman?

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Mon, 29 May 2000 13:38:15 -0700

On Mon, 29 May 2000 11:54:38 -0700
Jeff Swanson <jcswanson@mail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if you could provide an option for digest
> subscriptions which will provide a sorted-by-thread digest (rather
> than chronological order)?  For very active mailing lists, this
> would make the digest much easier to read through (depending on
> your preference).

Ideally digests should never be read, but should be received and
then burst back into their original discrete messages.  Your MUA can
then order, thread, and present them any way you wish.  This
approach also ensure that any replies to messages have the correct
References:, In-Reply-To: and Subject: headers.

ObNote: MailMan's MIME digests are a bit iffy as:

  a) The component messages are not assigned a MIME type (should be
     message/rfc822)

  b) The attached messages have a severely edited header set rather
than being verbatim what was sent to the list (modulo the Mailman's
additions).

--
J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw@kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder@kanga.nu