[Mailman-Developers] CVS: mailman/Mailman ListAdmin.py,1.33,1.34

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Wed, 31 May 2000 15:02:31 +0200

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 06:50:59AM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     NM> Also what happens if the MTA has been shut down?  Things like
>     NM> this can be a real pain to deal with if you have to reboot a
>     NM> server and a last gasp cron job throws away mail because it
>     NM> fired up after the mta had stopped but before cron has been
>     NM> shut down... or various other scenarios.

> If the MTA is shut down, SMTPDirect.py should notice this and raise
> the exception that forces a re-queue of the message.  Unless your MTA
> is down for 3 days, the message should be properly retried.  One thing
> I realized: if MTA delivery fails and the message is dequeue, we need
> to potentially perform other modules in the message pipeline.

Actually, I read something else in this statement. We still use Sendmail
(yeah yeah, I know :) and occasionally, mostly after receiving a lot of
spam, there is so much mail in the queue that sendmail can't keep up with
incoming mail, let alone catch up on the queue. So we stop sendmail and
start a couple of queueruns, sometimes for some hours. I don't particularly
like the idea of a qrunner starting every minute (or even every ten minutes)
trying to send each and every mail in the queue... it strikes me as fairly
wasteful :P

Then again, we currently use the Sendmail delivery module, so I'm not
terribly worried or anything ;-P But perhaps it would be a good idea to
catch some errors (like 'connection refused') and flag them like 'permanent'
errors. But that isn't very straightforward in the current setup, methinks.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>