[Mailman-Developers] List-* header suggestion
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 23:46:07 -0400
At 05:14 PM 9/29/00 +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>> Umm, the headers *are* folded.. In the very note that arrived from
>> you, they were folded that way. Unless a friendly MTA on the way to
>> me folded them for me, or unfolded them for you...
>> they aren't on my site, ron -- it' spossible you have an MTA that
>> *is* folding them for you. Does it do laundry, too?
>> Folding them would be a good idea, IMHO.
>I see the ones on the mailman-* lists as folded. I see the ones from
>the exim lists (again Mailman 2.0beta6) as unfolded. An MTA is playing
>silly games with the headers which is normally the sort of gratuitous
>fiddling that sendmail does... except the system that is playing games
>appears to be a postfix one (I expected better from Wietse).
Ok... For the curious, in my case at least, it appears to be a sendmail 8.11 thing.
I posted a test message to a newsgroup which happens to be echoed by both my
production mailman server, and my test server. They're running on identical os's,
sendmail versions, etc. In this case, both are still at 8.9.3 cause i haven't had the
time to upgrade them, and they're not broke :-). But the headers weren't folded
from my copy from the test machine, and were from the production machine.
The difference being the production machine happens to be set to use a smarthost,
which I'd forgotten I did after the last time we moved our mail relay, and I wanted
to test it in a configuration where I owned both ends... The mail relay runs 8.11.0.
So apparently 8.11.0 prettyfies the headers as they go by. All the headers; every
long header was wrapped with the "line break and whitespace" rfc wrapping.