[Mailman-Developers] Mailman and virtual domains

Sean Reifschneider jafo-mailman-developers@tummy.com
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 00:28:10 -0600

Greetings.  Now that I've got a spare box I can install the new mailman
on, without having to worry about freaking out something that relies on
the heavily hacked older copy of Mailman, i've finally started mucking
around with it again.

Looks good, though I do see that my QMail auto-detect patch didn't
go in (for changing the format of the "aliases" list in newlist).
;-)

So, I've been thinking some, and since the box that this is running
on is going to be dealing with a bunch of virtual domains, the
thinking has been about virtual domains.

It would be nice if one could have lists with the same name in two
different domains, handled by one instance of mailman.  Perhaps
instead of passing the wrapper "name" you'd pass it "name@domain"?
Then instead of having "lists/name" the directory structure would
be "lists/domain/name".  Perhaps there would be a "lists/Default"
that would hold all mailing lists that had no domain when passed
to the wrapper (for backwards compatibility)?

The only other thing I can think that it would have to hit is the
archive code -- same sort of thing "archives/public/domain/name".

Are there any other better approaches that could possibly be taken?
Maybe now would be the time to split it up some more so that you'd
have something like "lists/domain/first two letters of name/name"
for anyone who wants to run more than a thousand lists per box?

Sean
--
 Give me immortality or give me death!
Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo@tummy.com>