[Mailman-Developers] Re: Re: Error in scripts/driver?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 02:48:00 -0400 (EDT)

    DC> I disagree, but now's not the time to debate that.  It's not
    DC> the issue I was raising, anyway.  You said in the patch
    DC> followup that "the problem stemmed from an error introduced in
    DC> Defaults.py by the user."  Not exactly; changes to Defaults.py
    DC> illuminated what seemed already to be a problem.

    DC> The bug I created caused a traceback report, but that
    DC> traceback itself was faulty.  *That* is what this patch tried
    DC> to fix.

    DC> I don't know whether that makes any difference, though.

Sorry, my message didn't give enough detail.

If you edit mm_cfg.py instead of Default.py, any errors will of
course, still cause a traceback.  But the proper traceback will show
up in the web page as opposed to getting hidden by the missing import
of VERSION.  That makes it much easier for you to spot the problem and
fix it.  In that case, the patch isn't necessary.

I still claim the site admin should never edit Defaults.py.  Why do
you disagree?

Cheers,
-Barry