[Mailman-Developers] Reply-To bug in 2.0beta6

Ron Jarrell jarrell@vt.edu
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:23:50 -0400

--=====================_31868304==_.ALT

At 09:12 AM 9/29/00 -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>>That's in the CVS tree.  Given that MM 2.0 final is just a couple of
>weeks away, is this problem serious enough to warrant an emergency
>beta 7?

My first reaction was "naah."  Then I thought about it for a few minutes, and,
actually, probably the answer should be "Yes."  Because it's an itty bitty thing
that can turn into a *major* hassle for a list admin, particularly a less
experienced one who's not going to know why in hell his users have suddenly
gone stupid and started sending all their confirms to the list.  Heck, *I'm* far
from inexperienced, and when I had 6 cases of it in two days after the bug hit
the cvs tree *I* was initially wondering what in hell was wrong with my users
all of a sudden.  Then I finally realized the headers were wrong right about the
point the patch hit the tree...

Particularly if the list allows outside subscribers, and the listadmin doesn't actually
really read the list, he could have hordes of people subscribing, pestering the list
with their confirms, and then wondering why they never get anything from the list
they're actually not really subscribed to...

"confirm " + a number should probably be an administrivia filter trap.

--=====================_31868304==_.ALT

Given that MM 2.0 final is just a couple of<br>
weeks away, is this problem serious enough to warrant an emergency<br>
beta 7?</blockquote><br>
My first reaction was &quot;naah.&quot;&nbsp; Then I thought about it for
a few minutes, and,<br>
actually, probably the answer should be &quot;Yes.&quot;&nbsp; Because
it's an itty bitty thing<br>
that can turn into a *major* hassle for a list admin, particularly a
less<br>
experienced one who's not going to know why in hell his users have
suddenly<br>
gone stupid and started sending all their confirms to the list.&nbsp;
Heck, *I'm* far<br>
from inexperienced, and when I had 6 cases of it in two days after the
bug hit<br>
the cvs tree *I* was initially wondering what in hell was wrong with my
users<br>
all of a sudden.&nbsp; Then I finally realized the headers were wrong
right about the<br>
point the patch hit the tree...<br>
Particularly if the list allows outside subscribers, and the listadmin
doesn't actually<br>
really read the list, he could have hordes of people subscribing,
pestering the list<br>
with their confirms, and then wondering why they never get anything from
the list<br>
they're actually not really subscribed to...<br>
&quot;confirm &quot; + a number should probably be an administrivia
filter trap.<br>