[Mailman-Developers] Re: gate news order

Jim Tittsler jwt@OnJapan.net
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:22:04 +0900

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 07:08:01PM -0500, J.D. Bronson wrote:
> Does anyone know how to change the order that 'gate_news' runs thru the
> newsgroups to suck news down?

I believe it is operating system dependent.  It does them in
Utils.list_names() order, which is based on the arbitrary order
your operating system returns the directory (AKA list) names in
your list directory.

But, does it matter?

> I thought it went alphabetically, but that is not the case...I
> made one change to a newsgroup and now it pulls LAST and it is
> the 1st in the alphabet.

If you want it to go alphabetically, you could sort the output
of list_names() before iterating through it in gate_news.

Jim

P.S.  Please don't cross-post to both mailman-users and
mailman-developers.