[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request - Plain Text Only

Norbert Bollow nb@thinkcoach.com
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 10:45:09 +0100

Dan Wilder <dan@ssc.com> replied:

> I haven't evaluated it, but I'm afraid I've a bit of a bone to
> pick with it.  False positives are not unknown.  Worse, it sends automatic
> anonymous complaints to upstream providers of anybody even mentioned in
> the putative spam.

In addition to this, they also have another way for wasting your
time...

They also have a blackhole list of mailservers that relay
spam.  For example if you have a list-owner who reports a spam
which has come to him through the list-owner address, then your
mailing list server qualifies for the blacklist.  Well, maybe
they've changed the system in the meantime, but when they
blacklisted one of my servers, that happened because of just one
single spam report.  Of course the list-owner was just trying to
be a good netizen.  (This was a backup server which doesn't
normally process lots of mail, but it is not acceptable for it
to be on any blacklists, since it might possibly be necessary to
move a large number of active lists to that server on short
notice.)  I wasted half a night on figuring out how to get it
off that blacklist without waiting for a whole week.   (That is
supposed to be impossible, but I eventually found a way that
worked.)

I'm normally friendly to all and every effort to combat spam,
but SpamCop really got on my nerves by blacklisting that backup
server for no good reason.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com