[Mailman-Developers] Mailman CVS works on OS X!

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:27:16 -0500

    BG> Just wanted to report that Mailman out of CVS works
    BG> beautifully with Python 2.1.1 from the Fink porting project
    BG> for OS X.

    BG> I was able to compile and install Mailman after creating a
    BG> "mailman" user and group in NetInfo.  The configure process
    BG> had a few snags where it was confused about the local hostname
    BG> (I was not on a network at the time) but it continued on, and
    BG> built and installed no problem.

    BG> OS X comes with Apache, so I simply changed
    BG> /etc/httpd/httpd.conf for the Mailman entries, ran
    BG> /usr/local/mailman/bin/mailmanctl start, and was off and
    BG> running.

    BG> Love that portable code!

Wow, that is awesome news.  BTW, I just last weekend installed OS X on
my wife's G4, but I haven't had time to play with it much because it
was 10.0 and a number of things didn't work quite right.  I didn't
want to sleep on the couch all week, so I reboot it to 9.1 and sent my
check for the MacOSX upgrade kit. :) Soon as I get the 10.1 discs I do
plan to spend some time twiddling with Python and Mailman on MacOSX.

BTW, I'm almost entirely Windows-free now (with occasional wagon
tumbles with VMware that always make me feel dirty and ashamed
afterwards. :).  The Mac is a quite cool OS to play with and OSX only
makes it cooler.

-Barry